Add your text here

Smile Education Recruitment Agency

Smile People

My Account/Register

Call us today!

0121 210 5000 
or click here to email us

Find your perfect job


Refer a Friend

Smile Education is constantly recruiting for Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Cover Supervisors to join our family of supply staff.

If you know anyone looking for work we would be delighted if you would refer them over to us and as a thank you!

Click here to find out more...

CV Builder

Register now to access our FREE CV Builder!

Register Now


I've worked for 'Smile' for nearly a year now and am more than satisfied with them. They listen carefully to my needs and cater for me excellently. As someone who uses public transport, they always strive to find me local schools (who I regularly return to).


I regularly recommend Smile to anyone that would be suitable for supply work and give examples of how effective Smile has been in my own career progression; including the commitment from staff and lovely relationships built.


I don't think I would enjoy my job so much if it wasn't for Emma and smile’s agency.  From day one she has made me feel welcome and Emma is very polite and easy to get on with. I feel I can phone Emma with any problems I have and I am always guaranteed a reply the same day.


Smile as a company have been great at being helpful and communicating regularly.  Emma was honest and friendly and really gave me a personal service catered to my personal needs – texting me details as it is easier to reply and read while at work or on the go. 


You found me a school that is 3 miles from where I live, and which suited me perfectly. The children, staff and parents are fantastic. I felt valued and part of the team at Langley Primary School, Oldbury. All the consultants I have dealt with have been friendly and listen to what my school requirements are.


Thank you for having me, it was a pleasure to work for you. Smile has made it possible for me to further my career and gain valuable experience in a variety of schools. Katy is amazing, friendly, helpful and excellent at her job



How long does it take to register with Smile Education?

The meeting with your consultant takes only an hour of your time.

What is discussed during the initial interview?

The interview with your Smile consultant is a formal interview. They will ask you questions on your work goals, work experience and other work related questions. They will also explain what is expected of you as a member of teaching staff.

How long until I can start working?

Your file requires several components before being compliant and safeguarded for working in schools. This includes your references and your DBS. Both can take several days until our staff have received everything. We cannot give a specific time frame, but our staff does its best to ensure that all documents are obtained in a timely manner.

Will I have to work every day?

No, we understand that your schedule can change due to family requirements, appointments or illness. We do ask that you stay in touch with your consultant and let them know if your availability changes.

What type of positions do you offer?

We offer long and short term positions as well as day to day supply work. During your interview, your consultant will discuss which type of position will best match your career goals.

How much will I be paid?

Pay scales depend on your qualifications and work experience. Your consultant will discuss the pay rate with you during your interview.

What qualifications do I need to become a qualified teacher?

To become a qualified teacher, you need QTS, Qualified Teacher Status.

What qualifications do I need to become a teaching assistant?

At Smile Education, as a minimum, we require a level 3 diploma in an educational or childcare subject to become a Teaching Assistant. The schools we work with require this qualification for their teaching assistants.

Do secondary schools use teaching assistants?

Secondary schools don't typically use teaching assistants, but they do use cover supervisors for their classes as required. Those with teaching assistant qualifications can be cover supervisors depending on their work experience.

Will any of your teaching support induction (Newly Qualified Teacher NQT)?

Many of the schools we work with offer long term teaching positions and will support induction. Ask your consultant about these positions in your area.

Do you offer teaching positions with Special Educational Needs (SEN) Schools?

We have dedicated consultants that work with SEN schools in the West Midlands. Let your consultant know you are interested in these roles.

Do you offer any Continuing Professional Development Courses?

We do offer courses to our teaching staff. Ask your consultant about our course schedule.

What do I need to bring with me to register?

Reference details- two people that we can contact who have seen you interacting with children and someone from your most recent place of work/study. Proof of I.D: passport, driving licence, birth certificate; NI proof, 2 recent proofs of address, qualification/enrolment proof, passport photo. Also if applicable proof of name change (marriage cert/deed poll), work permit/VISA, overseas police check.

How do I get paid?

You get paid through an Umbrella company, our preferred company is RACS so once you have registered with us we pass your details through to them and they contact you to get your payment information. You can register with them either as PAYE or on their Umbrella scheme- they will give you further information

Do I need a Police check?

Yes, we need a police check (Disclosure and Barring Service certificate-DBS previously referred to as CRB) in order to send you out to work. It costs £44.00 to process and you can pay by cheque, bank transfer or postal order. Once you have worked 10 days for us we refund it back to you.
However if you have a valid DBS that is registered on the update service we do not need to process a new one, but we will need your signed permission to check it.

What is the update service and how does it benefit me?

You can register your DBS certificate on the update service for £13.00 a year, this then means your details are on a register that gets updated weekly by the police. So instead of paying £44.00 every time you join a new organisation for another certificate they can just check the update service which will say if your DBS certificate is still current. You only have 19 days to do this from the issue date on your certificate.

Also if you have a gap in your teaching career but your DBS is on the update service we can recheck the certificate to ascertain that you are still suitable to work with children.

How long does applying for a new DBS take?

It varies, they can take a day or up to 3 months, it depends on which police force it is sent to and what their caseload is like.

I've been working abroad for more than 6 months - is there any point in doing a DBS?

Yes, however we will also need an overseas police check from the country you have been working in. See the following link for information on how to apply for them:

I'm still on my course so do not have any qualification proof, can I still register?

Yes, we will just need to see evidence that you are on the course - such as an enrolment letter, a reference from your tutor or a letter with your results prior to the certificate being issued.

Why do you need so many documents?

As you are working with a vulnerable group of people-children - we have to make sure that we can verify your identity and suitability for the role, as well as checking for eligibility to work in the UK to comply with government regulations.



© 2019 Smile Education Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Data Protection. Privacy.